Hello Forward Bound Flashers and welcome back to the creepy children of the world! Welcome to what will probably be a very abbreviated version of the FlashForward blog. I'm not a happy camper right now. I stayed up until 1am balancing my Phillies watching (they lost last night to make things worse) and my FlashForward watching and blogging. I was 2/3rds completed writing the blog. I saved the draft, woke up at 5:30 am to finish and guess what? Everything I wrote is GONE! No draft, nothing. NOT HAPPY! I had some good nuggets of information too! Anyway, so I'm going to have to go with the less wordy rendition of the recap today! (besides this crazy paragraph naturally!) It's a shame too, because I think this show is getting nothing but better and better each week. LOVED last night's episode and was so glad I found a way to watch it in segments during the World Series and still not miss any of the game! (God Bless TiVo!)
Lots of craziness going on in the episode named after a David Bowie song (also featured in episode). It was Halloween so all the crazies were out! Creepy kids, Kangaroos, Masked Men, Future Murdering Quantum Physicists. We followed up on the fallout from the LA/DC shootings in last week's episode and get to the bottom of Janis's status. The suspense in the Benford/Simcoe drama was kicked up a few large notches! Demetri and Gough follow up on a lead from the shootings. And, I thought that the show is doing a good job balancing all of the dark, dreary drama that is unavoidable with the premise of the show with some great moments of humor interspersed throughout the episode. Dressing our heroes up for Halloween always helps to cut the tension a bit! (Dylan - Flava Flav, Aaron - Obi-wan Kenobi classics) Anyway, let's try to dive in (again for me) and see what we can discuss.
Updated 11/1/2009 with Screen Caps. Thanks to THE ODI again!
- We find out Simon is a genius Quantum Physicist who has won some prestigious awards that he has posed with in his underwear. Dominic Monaghan distanced himself very well from his previous iconic roles of Charlie (LOST) and Merry (Lord of the Rings)! He seems to be working on yet another iconic role, but let's see that play out over the season.
- Simon discusses with Callie the concept of Schrodinger's Cat in relation to what happened with the FlashForwards. Any fan of the hysterical sitcom The Big Bang Theory should be aware of at least the NAME of this concept. I don't think they used it in the same way, but it was used in the pivotal season 1 finale episode for the show! Anyway, it's a thought experiment that basically investigated 2 possibilities of said cat after an event has occurred. One possibility where the cat was dead and the other where the cat was alive. Charlie...errr...Simon, told Callie that both eventualities exist at the same time and the observer gets to decide the outcome. So should we take this as Gospel? "Both eventualities exist at the same time" sounds like you could get away with the details in the Flashes being absolutely true but the decisions made by the people in their flashes could totally change? Like Mark doesn't have to return to drinking but everything on his board is still a valid lead? If I think about it any further than that, my head starts spinning so let's leave it at that for now!
- Daphne reveals her FlashForward to Simon. It's funny, I think I mentioned something like this a few weeks ago when pondering why Wedeck would still decide to go to the Bathroom on D-Day. I thought, wouldn't this be a massive global event day where people would be gathering in places like Times Square? Surely enough, the writers of FlashForward didn't miss out on this concept by placing Daphne along with at least 500,000 others from the MOSAIC website into Times Square partying like it's New Year's. I'm glad they discussed this on the show, but it still doesn't explain why Wedeck would still need to go to the bathroom! But based on the humor this show has already dished out this season, it could easily be something Wedeck ate! Or based on the bullet above, he could choose NOT to go to the bathroom maybe.
- Simon also revealed his flash in quite disturbing detail mentioning that he remembered the smell of a meat locker and strangling a man with an Ox-like neck to death with great satisfaction. Who is the man? Not sure, I thought it was Bryce at first but then realized we probably haven't met who this is yet. I'm sure we will though!
- We see Olivia clearly get more concerned about the text she received about Mark drinking in his FlashForward. She has been calling him repeatedly worried that something happened in D.C. When she does see him she explains this and that they are getting too consumed by the flashes and forgetting to "live in the now" which is what she wants to do now. We'll see how long that lasts!
- Mark is convinced that the shootings are linked to the MOSAIC investigation due to the simultaneous events in D.C. and Los Angeles. Demetri even brought up the fact later that nothing happened until Mark start bringing up things in court like Dead Crows, D. Gibbons, Suspect Zero, etc...
- Stan apologized to Mark for his blow-up in DC. Mark calls it even by giving him quarters for the vending machine. Okay, so it wasn't "Hurley" funny, but still a little funny! (Sorry for the LOST reference non fans!)
- So over the episode, we watch Janis recover but run into some issues. I'm sure it was just a good dramatic timing but her monitor started going crazy after Stan told her about the miracle of Childbirth which he informed Janis would see first hand. She was brought back into the O.R. where Olivia and Bryce had to make a quick decision to save her. They went with a "B-lynch" suturing technique. The bullet had bounced around so much inside her that they had to leave it in. I'm no doctor so I'm probably leaving something out! But Janis explained that the outcome was that her chances of ever conceiving and giving birth to a child were very slim. Hmmmmm. So what is happening here? Does she get pregnant anyway? The odds are stacked against her big time now, right? She likes women (Maya sent her flowers by the way) and her uterus is badly damaged! Or was her flash playing a nasty trick on her planting in her the desire to want children but then taking it away the possibility of ever being able to? That would have to be a pretty knowledgeable flash to be able to pull that off! Is this another example of 2 eventualities existing? Maybe her choosing to break things off with Maya changed her path from eventually mothering a child? That doesn't sound likely, but stranger things have happened!
- They found similarities to the men they killed in D.C. They were all Asian, and they were professionals. They couldn't find their prints, dental records, nothing. Scarce medical history of a removed appendix or an achilles surgery. These guys were pretty much off the map. The coroner did note that one of the men had LASIC eye surgery. He called it a junior requirement for professional hitmen.
- They eventually did find something with a blacklight though, a BLUE HAND stamped or tattooed on one of the men's hand. The Blue Hand was a clue from Mark's board attached with the name "Baltimore". Demetri finds himself wanting to follow the flashes to resolve this shooting which alarms Agent Gough because if he was in Demetri's shoes, he'd be wanting to prove the flashes weren't real.
- Gough wanted to look more into the Asian connection, but Demetri thinks China is a dead end. He thinks they need to go to Baltimore Street a few blocks away. Which Gough reminded him that they were in D.C. which was closer to Baltimore, Maryland. Demetri eventually convinces Gough to head to Baltimore Street.
- And what do you know? They find a Blue Hand sticker on a Stop sign and it's pointing in a certain direction. They follow a sequence of Blue Hand stickers all showing different amount of fingers (indicating the # of blocks to go) and it eventually leads them to a bloodstained house with several corpses under a sheet. One of the hands was sticking out from under the sheet and it was painted blue! woaaaa What is up with the Blue Hand Group? (oh come on, you know you wanted to say it too!) I'm sure it will pay dividends in future episodes but for now we just know there are a bunch of dead blue hand people! Did they die during the blackout? Was it a cult-like suicide or was someone else behind it? Perhaps there are 2 factions that we will be dealing with outside of MOSAIC. Blue Hand vs. Red Panda? eh I dunno.
- Oh right, they did find one of their licenses that had a name of Ian Rutherford. And then they remember that Agent Gough was in London investigating the Rutherford case. Demetri points out that this investigation begins today. Woa...Al seemed to be in denial about the flashes, but as he recalled his flash and that bird hitting a window, he recalls looking out the window at the dead bird on the ground and yes, it was indeed a crow! woaaa
Lloyd and Dylan:
- Lloyd knows some crazy magic tricks. The ol' Pick a card (Queen of Diamonds), memorize it and he'll guess it trick. Lloyd didn't seem to be very impressed. All he kept saying is "NO" that he didn't want to move back to old house.
- Bryce informed Lloyd that it was Halloween so Lloyd went and got Dylan a costume. And yeah, he was dressed like Public Enemy's Flava Flav. (Or the guy from VH1 reality shows, you decide!) Bryce definitely called the costume "SUPER FLY"
- Lloyd mentioned that he wanted to say goodbye to Olivia before they left the hospital for good. Bryce was going to relay the message.
- Eventually, Dylan decides he's going to run off and Lloyd spends some time with Security trying to track him down (which he does by watching him leave the building on a security camera and boarding a bus).
- There was some creepy guy on the bus that was trying to help Dylan find his way. Not sure if he was a red herring or if he'll be important some time in the future. Dylan rambled off an address 25656 Sawyer Court Los Angeles, California 90024. One would think this was a reference to Sawyer on LOST, but others probably know that Robert Sawyer is the author of the FlashForward novel and an active resource for the new TV show. Whose address was that? And why did Dylan know it? Read on to find out!
Charlie is getting all excited for Halloween by watching an episode of our favorite cartoon SQUIRRELIO! (or however you spell it). Fun fact, did you know the voice of the cartoon squirrel is Sonya Walger as well? (Olivia) Aaron is there helping out with the kids, as well as Nanny Nicole who is going to answer the Benford's door for trick or treaters.
- Aaron convinces Mark to come out with them and get in costume. Mark wears an eyepatch and fangs. Did I mention Aaron was dressed up as Obi-Wan Kenobi? Ahh that was a good time. Pretty fitting for the philsophical best friend of Mark's as well. Although, I think we know that Ben Kenobi was no recovering alcoholic!
- We got appearance number 2 of the Kangaroo! He was just rolling (hopping) down the street in the Benford neighborhood. I have absolutely no idea how they're going to tie this kangaroo into things but it is clearly important!
- Of course, then we had the whole red herring chase scene when Mark saw 3 masked men dressed in black. And it was the same masks that the gunmen he saw in his flash we wearing. Mark chases them through a cemetary before he finally catches one. Turns out they were a few teenagers afraid that the FBI was after them because they toilet papered a house! (Unless that was just the kid's cover but I'm guessing not) Mark asked where he got the mask. He said it was at the 99 cents store. Yep, definitely seems like a red herring.
- Mark gets a call from Nicole and heads home. Why? You'll have to keep reading!
So everything came to a climax at the Benford home. This happens to be the place where Lloyd was wandering and the address that he rambled off.
- Dylan just walks right into the home and goes to a cookie jar and takes out a cooke. "This is my house too" he says. Nicole is beside herself and doesn't know what to do. She calls Mark.
- Mark arrives home and tries to talk to Dylan. "My name is Dylan Simcoe, my favorite book his Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, my dad does magic, this is my house too" woaaaaa
- We then see Dylan's flash where he is in the Benford home and he reaches into the cookie jar after Charlie (also there) tells him that "this is your house too". We see Lloyd sitting on the couch in the background (Lloyd told us he heard Dylan there. Now we know Charlie was there too). Well then where was D. Gibbons? Is it Lloyd? Is it someone else that arrives at the end of the flash to take them away? Or is it on the refrigerator that says "D. Gibbons is a bad man".
- We see Dylan read the address off of the refrigerator that he ranted off on the bus. Then in the present day Charlie comes into the room and Dylan says "hey charlie!" and Charlie says "he dylan!" and then they both say "Toot Toot! Squirrelio!" Woaaaaa that was creepy! These kids just act like they know each other from running into each other in the flash. Remember when Charlie was crying when Dylan was in the hospital? So these kids, if not all kids, seem to be affected differently by the flash.
- Then the fireworks happen. Lloyd shows up, and Mark welcomes him in not knowing who he is yet. Lloyd slowly begins to recognize the house from his flash. Then Olivia rolls in yelling "Trick or Treeaaa...." oh boy...what is Lloyd doing in my house? Mark and Lloyd put the pieces together that Olivia already knew.
- Lloyd suddenly realizes why Olivia had been so distant from Lloyd at the hospital. Mark clearly is agitated and informs Lloyd that nothing is going to happen. He kicks Lloyd out. Lloyd was calmly trying to make sense of the whole situation and seemed agitated by Mark although he still extended his hand which Mark shook. Lloyd then says goodnight to Olivia and he and Dylan leave. Woaaa, that scene was just intense, right?
- Mark then starts bullying Olivia. "I can see why you like him, he's very charming". He starts asking how his son found his way here. He called the hospital and found out Dylan was still Olivia's patient even though Olivia told him that she got him moved off. Then he gets all high and mighty about honesty. And then Olivia brings up the "are you being honest with me?" card. Mark reluctantly comes clean about being drunk in his Flash. And then the contradiction begins. Mark is mad at Olivia for something that hasn't happened. But Olivia is seeing the signs now of Mark's alcoholism returning which she has already dealt with, and she is not ready to deal with it again. As I had mentioned before, Mark's apprehension of Olivia's future with another man could drive him to start drinking. That's the way it is looking now. But can it be avoided? We're not sure, but it looks like Olivia is close to her breaking point of leaving Mark if she isn't there already.
- Lloyd and Dylan return to the hospital. Dylan was happy that tomorrow wouldn't be Halloween again because today was kind of scary. He then thanks his dad for coming to get him. awwwww
- Then we get the montage to "Across the Universe". Mark is alone in the kitchen, Olivia is alone on the stairs, Demetri is in his cube investigating the Blue Hand, Gough is looking into Ruitherford, Stan is with Janis in the hospital, Charlie is with Squirrelio in bed, Dylan is in bed and Lloyd is getting into his car and
- DR. FRANKENSTEIN'S MONSTER is in the backseat! Naaaa, it's just Simon. Simon tells Lloyd that "we are ALL worried about you". Hmm, We? All? Sounds like a shady group of people I'd like to know more about. Apparently Lloyd fled wherever Simon came from after the blackout. And then he explains why. "Our experiment killed 20 million people, what else is there to say?" ........Um, I can think of a few things!
Their EXPERIMENT? What is this experiment they're talking about? What were they TRYING to do witht he experiment? Was the blackout an accident? Clearly Lloyd is not happy with the way things turned out. Is he a Physicist too like Simon? Are Simon and Lloyd related to the Blue Hand Group or maybe they are part of Red Panda? Or is there some other group of scientists involved? Does Simon's knowledge of Schrodinger's Cat and dual realities hold any weight with the "experiment" that they conducted? Yes, Lloyd there is LOTS more to say!
But for now, I think we've said enough. I can't believe I actually retyped everything I lost! Hopefully, it's worth reading! Sorry again for the lack of pictures. There just isn't a ton of resources for FlashForward like there is for LOST, yet. But we'll get there! I have read that next week's episode is a pretty pivotal episode and one worth tuning into. Here's hoping it's the landmark one we've been waiting for! (don't forget, potential World Series game 7 next Thursday so I'm not sure when I would get to the blog in that scenario!)
Keep up the great commentary that we have going every week. What did everyone think of this episode? Hope you enjoyed my ramblings and see you next week!
Thanks as always to The ODI for posting screenshots from the episode!